Thursday 17 June 2010

One night in Turin



Wasn't sure about this when I saw it advertised a month or so ago, the Gary Oldman narration put the fear of dread in me and reminded me of huddling around a portable TV 15 years ago to watch Trouble on the Terraces, that one narrated by Sean Bean if I remember correctly.

Shouldn't really have worried - it's a great documentary. Of course there is quite a lot of beenie hat and England 3rd shirt wearing; and the obligatory plastic chair throwing. Actually, there isn't that much chair throwing, perhaps that was more Euro 92. The Soundtrack is immense and had me reaching for the Mondays, Stone Roses and the mighty Wedding Present immediately. All woefully overlooked by myself in the past 10 years.

What really struck me though was the socio-political dimension, a government out of touch, a country on its knees and football so far removed from popular culture, who would have thought 2 months later Gazza would be splashing it all over and singing with Lindisfarne.

It is also very touching in parts - in particular the Gazza and Bobby Robson relationship. I'm grateful that I hadn't had a drink or i'd have welled up.

It'll probably be on TV soon anyway - but I would definitely pick it up for one of the nights in the knock out phase, assuming England are still in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment